Take a guess at how many roses are produced for Valentine’s Day each year. Maybe a couple hundred thousand?
Guess again. It’s closer to 198,000,000. Valentine’s Day is known for roses, chocolates, teddy bears and love. Often, there is pressure to go out to a nice restaurant and give expensive gifts. Maybe you didn’t even realise, until reading this, that Wednesday is Valentine’s Day!
If you haven’t made a restaurant reservation by now, or if you’re looking to do Valentine’s Day on a budget (most of us) without compromising on making it special, we have rounded up a few ideas that are sure to make this day one to remember… even if you forgot!
- Have a picnic. The beauty of this idea is that it is versatile. You can picnic inside or outside. At the beach or on top of a parking deck. You can get takeout or make food. Picnic are brilliant because you can customise it to make it special for your partner. Try doing the picnic in a location that has significant value to your relationship. If you’re wanting to make it even more romantic, light a few tea candles, and just enjoy being together. Don’t forget the chocolate covered strawberries!
- Cook dinner together. Cooking is a great bonding activity. Try to recreate your favourite restaurant meal. If you’re feeling adventurous, create your very own dish, and don’t forget to write the recipe down to make again one day. Depending on how ambitious you’re feeling, go for making a 3 course meal just like you could get out somewhere. There’s guaranteed to be lots of laughs along the way!
- Take a trip down memory lane. Whether this is your first Valentines Day with your partner or your 50th, there is something special about reminiscing together. If you’re really trying to impress your partner, recreate your first date. You could also go on a drive and make stops along the way at significant places of your relationship. Not only will this make for bringing up favourite memories but also making new ones!
- Opt outside. There’s no better place to spend time with your significant other than the great outdoors! If you’re morning people, wake up early to take a walk and watch the sunrise. Maybe you’d prefer a stargazing session where you try to find the constellations. Either way, getting outside in the fresh air opens worlds of opportunities of things to do. You could even get your favourite takeaway and head to a lookout to watch the sunset!
- Make homemade cards together. Do you remember getting and receiving cheesy Valentine’s Day cards every year? Why not put your artistic abilities to the test and have a craft night where you pull out all of your pink and red decor and make cards for each other? It will be fun to do something out of the norm but still in the spirit of the holiday. You could even make a rule: the cheesier and cornier, the better. Get creative!
So there you have it. 5 fail proof ideas if you’re looking to do Valentine’s Day on a pinch (financially or time wise). More than anything, Valentine’s Day is a day to love and appreciate your significant other. While it’s easy to get caught up in the festivities, just do your best to make your partner feel extra loved and special, and you won’t mess up. Happy Valentine’s Day!