Recently, I had the absolute privilege to go watch the latest instalment in the Marvel series, Thor: Ragnarok. Directed by New Zealander, Taika Watiti (of Hunt for The Wilderpeople & Boy) and filled to the brim with a star-studded cast of Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Jeff Goldblum & a slew of the usual suspects, this comedic space romp had me from the get-go.
Here are 5 THOR’T’s I had leaving this movie:
1) The cast was amazing. I was blown away by how many great actors appear in this movie, even for a brief cameo – ahem Matt Damon. I mean, if you can get him to play a bit part you know you’re doing well, right?
2) It’s really very funny. Director Taika Watiti has an infectious way of bringing his own quirky humour to his movies. Additionally, it looks like the actors are having so much fun you can’t possibly not enjoy it. I’m pretty sure ole Hemsy makes Tom Hiddleston AKA Loki crack up in the movie, and I’m so glad this moment was left moment.
3) The soundtrack is now forever stuck in my head. Led Zeppelin is now the soundtrack to which I live my life. THANKS MARVEL.
4) They balanced serious and fun. Superhero movies need more humour to help cut through the ridiculous nature of their storylines. Too long have we tried to pretend that men flying around in spandex saving the world and giving us emotional monologues is the norm but instead, poking fun at it is exactly the thing needed to refresh this sometimes tired formula.
5) WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE? And will director Taika Watiti be on board, because frankly I am all for it.
Well there you have it. 5 things that I took away from this Marvel(lous) movie. If you want more insight into this film without any spoilers, make sure to check out my review below!